As a new Amazon seller, you’re probably eager to start seeing the dollars roll in. However, Amazon can be a very competitive and unforgiving place for a new seller since there are lots of people trying to take advantage of this amazing platform. This means you need to know the best tips for how to be a seller on Amazon in order to get noticed right away.
Many people underestimate the need to be proactive, leaving them stranded in a sale-less desert. Amazon does provide you with an amazing opportunity to gain some level of financial freedom, but this opportunity shouldn’t be taken for granted. You should always be on the lookout for new ways to push yourself ahead of the pack.
In this article, we’ll discuss some methods which will help you do just that. These will mostly revolve around pushing your items up the search rankings as well as driving more traffic towards them.
Make your products look good, real good
Presenting your items in a professional way and putting effort into your listings will help you convert more browsers into buyers.
Remember that for most products, many other sellers sell the exact same item at a very similar price. This leaves how your present your products as one of the last remaining factors that can sway a potential customer’s mind.
We will take more about search results later, but having a good title that describes your product accurately and succinctly will also entice buyers on the search results page. Make sure to include the brand, specific model, and the most pertinent characteristics. Also, make use of one or two powerful and descriptive words.
Here are a few things you should do to make sure your products look enticing to buyers:
- Professional photos: If you can’t source any good quality photos of the product online or from the manufacturer, have professional photos taken. Most users browse pictures of the product before buying. You might even want to include some marketing material or usage guides.
- Thorough description of product: This starts with diligently filling out the fields that Amazon provides. You should also list key characteristics of the product instead of writing long paragraphs. There is a blurb-like section towards the bottom that is more appropriate for this.
- Stay logical and organized: If you have different color variations of a product, for example, use the tools Amazon provide to include color selection as part of the product and don’t list them separately.
Don’t underestimate the importance of customer reviews
Customer reviews form a key part of how Amazon itself ranks items in their search results. They’re also how Google does the same. The more customer reviews you have and the higher your average review rating, the better it is for your items’ search result ranking.
This means that you should always strive to get higher reviews through quality and service and employ some kind of customer review strategy. Having reviews and good star-ratings appear on your search results inside Google goes a long way to convince users to click on it.
88% of online customers place just as much significance on online reviews as real-life opinions. Almost the same percentage take reviews into consideration before doing business with a seller.
Employ an SEO strategy
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. It’s basically the use of techniques and methods to make your content/products/etc. appear higher on the results of a search engine. 90% of search engine users do not go past the first page of results and the higher you are placed is also seen as a mark of quality.
By correctly addressing the previous two sections, you’ve already gone a long way to getting your products higher on the search results ladder. Additionally, you can do some research on how to do SEO for Amazon. There are plenty of articles dedicated to this topic in-depth on the web. However, here are some of the most important tips:
- Keywords: Use relevant keywords targeted at your product and its niche. There are many tools you can use to find the most popularly searched for keywords. Don’t stuff them in at every chance you get but use them wisely in the title, beginning of the description, etc.
- Competitive prices: Amazon does factor pricing into its search algorithms. On top of that, many users sort results from “low to high” price.
- Good product ratings: The same goes for this as for prices.
- Always in stock: Amazon wants to promote good performing sellers so it factors the availability of your stock into your rankings.
- Target Amazon Prime members: More on this in the next section.
There are also many things that you can do outside of Amazon to improve the traffic to your products. Most of these will simultaneously improve your Google (or another search engine) rankings. Running a blog or online store that promotes your product is one way to do this but is very high-effort.
Use Amazon FBA
We can go on and on about the benefits of Amazon FBA for any seller. The competitive shipping rates, the taking of time-consuming and frustrating tasks off of your hands, the powerful and easy tools to manage and view your inventory. You should be aware of all of these by now.
However, the fact that your products will be eligible for Prime shipping is a benefit all on its own. Around 38% of American households have at least one Prime membership. Prime shipping is one of the main reasons people buy on Amazon without going somewhere else. If your products are Prime-eligible, you will also be one of the lucky sellers shown on Prime-filtered search results.
Utilize these tips for how to be a seller on Amazon and get more sales!
Although these solutions seem a bit time-consuming and while they might not have the immediate effect you’re hoping for, they are the only tried-and-trusted proven methods to sell more items over the short, and long, term. Now that you know how to be a seller on Amazon, put in the time and effort to make these tips part of your strategy from the beginning. Then watch your sales take off.